Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Syd Barret

Possible one of my biggest influences, inspirations and (even though I hate that word) idols.

He was one of those people who was so ahead of his time that people called him crazy, and ultimately he became just that. "He reached for the secret too soon."

He was a genius in his own way, so much more then Roger Waters and David Gilmour, who are normally what most people think of when Pink Floyd is mentioned. Don't get me wrong I enjoy post-Barret Pink Floyd, but there is something special about an album like "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" that I just can't find in the other Pink Floyd albums.

It's not just his music, though it's a big part of it, but it's just as much the way he was as a person.



I see myself in him and that makes me a little afraid. As much as he fascinates me, he made a lot of sacrifices that I'm sure not ready to make. Of course I'm no Syd Barret, but there's a small piece of me in the back of my head that reminds me of him.

Shine on, you crazy diamond...

No comments: