Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Analog vs. Digital

I'm an analog guy trapped in a digital world.

I'm one of those freaks who prefers vinyl over cds and mp3s. Of course it's not like I don't own cds or an iPod. Hell, I'm writing this on a computer, does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe it does, but that's not the point. At least I've come to learn of the warmth present in anything and everything analog. Digital is cold, you can't change my mind about that, period.

Yes, digital is convenient; easy - just press a button and fly away - but really, is the convenience over quality really worth it? I don't think so. In my world the inconvenience is part of the beauty.
For instance, it's my experience that you can throw any cd on your stereo, or play any mp3 file on your computer and yeah, sometimes you listen to it, but after a while you barely notice it. On the other hand when you take out an old (or brand new for that matter) vinyl record from the jacket, dust it off and put it on the turntable, then you've put a certain amount of effort into wanting to hear that record and correspondently want to listen to it, instead of just having it play in the background.

(I'm not really saying what I wanted to say, but I hope the point is there somewhere. My head is killing me, I feel nauseous and my eye sight is fucked up. I shouldn't be sitting here writing while staring into the screen, but I forget my physical condition when I do. Like shooting yourself in the leg to forget the pain in your chest.)

And don't even get me started on guitar amps. Transistors vs. Tubes, though it's something else completely, well kind of...
Which gives me a chance to throw in that my 15 watts all tube Vox amp should be arriving with the post tomorrow. Something that will definitely be mentioned here upon its arrival.

No comments: