Thursday, April 01, 2010

Roskilde Festival

My favourite place in the world; my favourite time of the year is those 8-9 days of camping on the Roskilde Festival. Where days and nights are filled to the brim with good music, happy free minded people & booze in excess. A utopia where 80.000 people get along.



I used to hate the idea of festivals: being dirty from all the dust or mud? Sleep in tents? All those people? Fuck no! But boy oh boy was I wrong. I first went in 2006 with my brother, I had decided to ignore how much I hated festivals because Tool was headlining. I was a HUGE fan of them and there was no chance in hell that I would miss seeing them. Oh yeah, and Roger Waters was the closing name.

We got there on a Thursday, the festival opened the previous Sunday, and we were both knocked over by the size of the festival. Tent after tent after tent and all those people. We spend more then an hour walking around the camping site looking for a spot for our tent, the festival was sold out, so it wasn't easy to find one. The next four days were an epiphany to me, this place was none less then a heaven on earth for me. There was music and the kindest most helpful beautiful people I've ever met. People really throw away whatever facade they normally have and show who they really are. They take so good care of each other, even though they're complete strangers, that continues to amaze me.



The music is the main part of the festival with more then 160 performances covering every genre and sub genre out there. Everything from the radio hit band to the deepest darkest underground, the possibilities to discover new bands and for new bands to break through is enormous. It's clear to see that the bookers takes some risks with some of their bookings, and I love them for doing that. I've had some of my best concert experiences on that festival. A big reason for this is again the fact that no matter how drunk or stoned everyone is, they're still friendly and considerate.



I've gone to the Roskilde Festival every year since 2006, I can't imagine how horrible it would be to stay at home knowing what I'm missing; I'm a Roskilde junkie now - I need my yearly shot.

86 days to go...

No comments: