Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Little Match Girl.


I just got home from watching the theatre show, The Little Match Girl by The Tiger Lillies. I had the best seats ever, I could've held the microphones for them, I was that close.

It was something, that's for sure.
It was great too.
No, it was more then great.
It was really something...

The story - should you not know - is about a little girl who sells matches, but one new years eve the cold gets too much for her, so she strikes and lights the few matches she have to keep her warm. The warmth from the matches gives her hallucinations of all sorts of wonderful things. Her dead grandmother, amongst other things. But the matches isn't enough and she ends up freezing to death out on the cold streets.

Knowing The Tiger Lillies, I didn't know what to expect, you never can with these guys. The show wasn't exactly what I had expected - the music was the good ol' sound of the tiger lillies - it was much more. It wasn't the crazy, funny, dark comedy they usually come up with, no, it was sad and I even heard a girl say after the show that it scared her a lot.
The Tiger Lillies did a great job as always, but even they were matched by the two actors, the girl especially. She is a great actor - she's so much more then just an actor.

If you have the chance, go see the show, even if you don't normally like the Lillies. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1 comment:

pilar medellona said...

I was that little girl, not actually, but i remember that story and how it made not really scared, but so utterly sad, that i doubt my young self could explain it. i simply remember hating it. wondering why couldn't someone come, save her. and i guess there are little match girls out there on the streets today wondering the same thing. i see them sometimes in the more urban cities, and walk by. why? perhaps i am afraid, i could easily become one of them.